Data Scientist (10 Months Ftc)
JOB INDEX - 1 month ago - Job Mail
Data Scientist (10 Months Ftc)
A Data Scientist (10 Months FTC) vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium in Sandringham - Johannesburg.
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited ("WHC") is a wholly owned Company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa) under its Faculty of Health Sciences.
WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives.
In addition WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
Main purpose of the job
- To work as part of a small, agile, multi-disciplinary team within the Surveillance Information Management Unit at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- This team will use a data-centric and advanced analytics approach to deliver a national surveillance platform that is innovative, relevant and sustainable
- The role includes: Identifying data problems and/or opportunities; Data processing and data integrity; Analytics and data modeling; Data visualisations
- NICD, Sandringham
Key Performance Areas
- Provide technical and design guidance to the ETL team to ensure quality related to data acquistion, modeling and processing in the surveillance data warehouse
- Provide oversight to ensure best practice and standards are followed by the ETL team
- Develop, construct, test and maintain architectures (data marts, large data processing systems) to support the analytics and reporting requirements of business
- Improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Assist in the development of data management policies and procedures
- Create data mining and analytics architectures, coding standards, statistical reporting, and data analysis methodologies
- Conduct research and make recommendations on big data infrastructure, database technologies, analytics tools, services, protocols, and standards
- Collaborate with scientific colleagues to define metrics, guidelines and strategies for effective use of algorithms and data
- Collaborate with ETL team to ensure appropriate data acquisition, data quality, data modeling, data processing to support analytical reporting
- Collaborate with the analytical reporting team to ensure data integrity in the reporting and self-service architecture within MicroStrategy and/or other analytical/statistical tools
- Develop and analyse analytical data sets, create meaningful visualisations
- Develop algorithms to enhance data integrity
- Establish links across existing data sources and find new, interesting mash-ups
- Explore machine learning, statistical methods to prepare data for use in predictive modelling
- Perform data validation, and enhancement activities
- Partner with the technical team to effectively take enhancements from prototype to production
- Create and deliver Business-oriented insights as to where the problems/opportunities lie and how resources may best be allocated
Required minimum education and training
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/ Engineering/ Informatics/ Bio-Informatics/Statistics/ Mathematics/Applied Mathematics or similar
- Software engineering skills (e.g.
algorithms and data structures)
- Experience working with large data
- SQL databases and database querying languages essential
- Sound understanding of differences between structured and semi-structured data
- Unstructured data techniques
- Ability to leverage a star-schema data structure
- Ability to stage data and work with unstructured data
- Ability to use ETL tools such as Informatica, Datastage or similar data integration tool
- Ability to understand the nuances of domain specific data
- Data mining, machine learning and text analysis techniques
- Data cleaning
- Data visualisation and reporting techniques - use of Excel, Powerpoint, Visio (MicroStrategy experience would be advantageous)
- R, SAS, Stata, C/C++, Java, Perl languages (experience with one or more essential)
- Python (most common), C/C++ Java, Perl (experience with one or more essential)
- Math (Understanding of correlation and all aspects of massaging data)
- Statistics (e.g.
hypothesis testing and summary statistics)
Required minimum work experience
- 10 years’ as a Data Scientist/Engineer
Additional work experience and personal abilities
- Analytic problem-solving – approaching high level challenges with a clear focus on what is important; using the right approach/methods to maximise use of time and human resources
- Effective communication – excellent communication and presentation skills to ensure effective communication of techniques used and discoveries, to technical and non-technical audiences
- Intellectual Curiosity - Exploring new territories and finding creative and unusual ways to solve problems
- Industry Knowledge – Domain knowledge and an understanding of how data are collected, analysed and utilised
- The ability to ask pertinent questions
- Passionate about the role of data and analytics in the health sector
- Extreme attention to detail, disciplined and accurate
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Proactive and innovative
- Highly self-motivated and directed; resilient
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
The closing date for all applications is 24 February 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
SCAM ALERT - PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS.
NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! - DON'T BE SCAMMED!!!
Find Jobs per Keyword:
Do you have a Degree in English, Literature, Linguistics or Humanities? Have you tutored during your studies and ready to put your skills
Are you a qualified Bookkeeper that is eager to acquire new skills by working under a Financial Manager? Are you looking to use your expe
Senior Sales Manager
Have you been a Sales Manager managing a team of External Sales Reps and Administrators within the building sector? Your relevant experie
Do you have an excellent sales track record within the motor and truck fleet sector, and ready for an exciting career change? We require
Costing, Invoicing, Quality And Logistics Manager
Costing, Invoicing, Quality and Logistics Manager (Agricultural/ Food Production & Distribution)
This is a multi-faceted role id
Retail Sales Consultant
Retail Sales Consultant – Walmer Park – Port Elizabeth. Salary: R8350 per month plus commission, medical aid, group life cover and pensi
Field Service Technician/engineer - Fmcg
Market related salary +benefits +car +cellphone +laptop. Leading international packaging/processing company requires experienced. Millwright
Commercial Refrigeration Technician
Commercial Refrigeration Technician – Wadeville - Johannesburg. A refrigeration company based in Wadeville URGENTLY needs a Commercial Re
Information Security Officer
Skill Hunters - Johannesburg, Gauteng - Provide IT Security strategy, consulting on a project risk. Develop and manage a roadmap for informa
Security Specialist: Identity and Access Management
Skill Hunters - Johannesburg, Gauteng - & PAM team perspective and to allow for more seamless operationalisation and handover. Assist in es
Sales Consultant (Security)
Neo Batho (Pty) Ltd - Gauteng - Our client is looking for an Sales consultant within the security sector in Johannesburg and the East Rand J
Cyber Security Manager
Recru-IT - Cape Town, Western Cape - Experience & Qualifications: The position will require an incumbent with a minimum of a CISSP (certifie
Cyber Security Manager
Recru-IT - Cape Town, Western Cape - Reference: PE008259-Liesl-1 The primary responsibility of the Information and Cyber Security Manager wi
Software Security Engineer Team Lead
Cape Town, Western Cape - Cape Town - My client, a leading online retailer requires a Software Security Engineering Team Lead. DUTIES: M
Security Engineer, Threat Research Team
Amazon - Cape Town, Western Cape - DESCRIPCIÓN The AWS Shield Response and Threat Intelligence team is looking for a security engineer wi
Amazon - Cape Town, Western Cape - DESCRIPCIÓN At AWS, we're hiring highly passionate and deeply technical cloud computing Security Archi
Network and Security Specialist
Skill Hunters - Rosebank, Johannesburg - The responsibilities include but is not limited to: Monitoring performance of the network Troublesh
Skill Hunters - Sandton, Johannesburg - Delivery, support and supervision of technical security testing assignments Defining scope and perfo
Cyber Security Project Manager
Tower Group (Pty) Ltd - Johannesburg, Gauteng - Reference: JHB003809-AG-1 Our client in the Telecommunications Industry is urgently looking
IT Support Engineer Ã¢ú‚¬û€œ Cloud and Security
Skill Hunters - Parktown, Johannesburg - 1. Cloud related tasks: Administer cloud services Exchange Online SharePint Online Office 365 Prtal
Software Security Engineer Team Lead (CH558TA)
Capital H - Cape Town, Western Cape - Our client, a leading South African online retailer, is looking to employ a Software Security Engineer
Network Security Engineer
Recru-IT - Cape Town, Western Cape - Reference: PE008255-Siya-1 Our client in Cape Town`s northern suburbs is looking for a Network Security
Maintenance And Repair Manager
Our client based in Sandton is looking for a Maintenance and Repair Manager to support the Company or customer site business plan and obj
Ssa Supply Chain Manager
Our client is looking for a Supply Chain Manager. He / She will be responsible under minimal direction for the on-going development, perf
Senior Hr Representative
Our client is looking for a Senior HR Representative to provide strategic human resource generalist consultation to associates and manage
Our client is looking for a Territory Manager to establish territory of customers including restaurants, hotels, schools, long-term care
Senior Technical Sales Representative
Our client is looking for a Senior Technical Sales Representative to join its industry leading sales team. Youâll be responsible f
A client of mine is urgently looking for an Assistant Accountant to join their dynamic team.
Must have the following;